Protects your secret data from other people's eyes
BestCrypt is a powerful and easy-to-use data encryption software. You allocate a portion (container) of free space of your drive where you keep all your sensitive data in encrypted form.
BestCrypt creates a virtual drive in your system which you work with like with any other drive. All data written there are encrypted "on-the-fly". Strong encryption algorithms Rijndael (AES), Blowfish,Twofish, GOST, DES, etc. LRW,CBC,XTS encryption modes. Time-out and Hot Key options.
Any number of hidden containers inside a single outer container. The wiping utility is included allowing you to wipe files "on-the-fly" while they are deleted by applications or by the system. BestCrypt is professionally developed product which keeps your files out of other people’s eyes.
Here are some key features of "BestCrypt":
· There are no limitations on the number of local physical drives on which a user stores BestCrypt containers. Any type of physical media may be used to store and access the data on the BestCrypt containers - hard drives, removable media, magneto-optical devices, etc.
· Any network accessible disk may be used by BestCrypt software for creating and accessing file-containers. This network disk may be shared by a server with any operating system.
· User may copy (backup) BestCrypt containers from one computer to another in network and continue to access encrypted data without any limitation on the operating system type. For example, a user may copy or move a file-container from a computer with a Windows operating system to a UNIX computer, yet continue access the data (now stored inside the container on the UNIX computer) from the Windows computer. Note that there is a separate version of BestCrypt for the Linux operating system.
· BCWipe utility. To avoid an unauthorized restoration of deleted files from your disks, you can run BCWipe utility to wipe deleted files from the disk. The utility may also wipe all free space and file slacks on the specified disk.
· CryptoSwap utility. BestCrypt can encrypt the Windows swap file. The swap file is the Windows system file that is used for virtual memory support, and it can store parts of documents that you are working with in an opened form on a hard drive. Even if an original document is encrypted by some powerful encryption program, Windows can put a whole document or part of it into the swap file in an unencrypted form. Encryption keys, passwords, and other sensitive information can also be swapped to the hard drive. Even if you use all of the security advantages of the latest Windows versions, simply investigating the swap file in DOS mode may allow someone to extract a lot of interesting information from the file. As far as we know, at the moment only BestCrypt allows encryption of the swap file contents.
· Container Guard utility. This utility prevents users from accidental deleting an encrypted file-container. As well, it prevents from deleting your file-container by an unauthorized person who has network access to your computer. In Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista Container Guard may be disabled only by an administrator.
· BestCrypt can create Hidden Containers that are not evident to an intruder. You can simply create another (hidden) container inside an already existing (shell) container. Data stored within shell and hidden containers can be completely different, passwords for the containers are also different, and it is impossible to tell whether a shell container is concealing a hidden container or not.
· Idea of Hidden Containers and its first implementation was invented by our company in 2001, and appeared as so fruitful that now it has been more or less implemented in many other software.
· BestCrypt has a low-level module (so called Keyboard Filter) that automatically turns on when the user enters password in BestCrypt password edit boxes. Keyboard Filter prevents keyboard monitor utilities (like Microsoft Spy++ ) from intercepting a real password that the user types.
· Automatic closing options.
· Timeout: all virtual drives are automatically closed if the user has left computer or simply does not touch keyboard and mouse for the specified time (i.e. a "Screen saver" style time-out).
· Hot Key - all virtual drives are automatically closed if the user presses the Hot Key combination on the keyboard.
· The main commands to control access to encrypted data may be run from Windows Explorer ("My Computer" window) without starting BestCrypt Control Panel. To run these commands from Explorer, you should use the same method as for creating and opening any other document from Explorer, for example, a Microsoft Word document.
· BestCrypt has been designed with an extensible architecture - any third-party encryption software or hardware developers can insert security extensions into the BestCrypt software - for example, additional encryption algorithms, proprietary procedures of entering the passwords, or additional hashing algorithms. To get additional information about the architecture, visit the Jetico webpage.
· The BestCrypt Development Kit contains the source codes of all BestCrypt modules responsible for the security of the software.
· BestCrypt automatically saves information concerning whether to share BestCrypt logical drives on a network. Now user does not have to share the BestCrypt drives every time he/she reboots operating system.
· IBM PC/AT or PS/2 or compatible, with a 486 CPU or higher
· Minimum 10 MBytes of free HDD space to install and run the BestCrypt software
· 21 days trial
What's New in This Release:
· Modified operation of creating containers with 3DES algorithm to resolve "Unable to format" error which only happened on multi-processor systems.
· Fixed error in re-encryption or header encryption for containers stored on drives formatted with sector size greater than 512 bytes.